A mid-year report by AgFunder says that agtech startups raised $2.06 billion in the first half of 2015. The report, powered in part by CrunchBase, highlighted the rising trend in agtech investing, with the comparable figure for all of 2014 at $2.36 billion.
Highlights from the report include:
- There were 280 unique investors during the period covered by the report.
- Food e-commerce captured 27% of investments during the first half of 2015.
- Water tech captured 26%. No other sub sector accounted for more than 10%.
- Bioenergy investments were down in the period.
- Food e-commerce and water tech accounted for $1.076 billion during the period.
- Companies like Blue Apron and Munchery headlined the food e-commerce category.
- Planet Labs stood out among precision agriculture companies for this period.
California-based companies dominated the landscape with 44 deals during the first half of 2015, representing 31% of all deals in the U.S. AgFunder associated $583 million with those deals.
Top investors in the space included Sequoia Capital, Cap Agro, The Yield Lab, The Data Collective, Innovation Endeavors, Accel Partners, DFJ, Qualcomm Ventures and others.
For more information and to download the AgFunder report, please click here.
For more CTC coverage of technology research, please click here.